This funny "hypocrisy" picture is simply used to illustrate that shaming the body of another is no way to feel better about your own physique.
In another post, Shannon again takes on thin shaming by fat people. He says it better than I can, so please go ye thence and read!
This was my response:
I am in agreement with you, Shannon. I'm also reminded of how some women think that exploiting men is the answer to the fact that women have been exploited for so long. I have never thought that this was the answer. We need to be exploiting women less, not exploiting men as well.
In this case, we need to not be shaming thin people but presenting fat bodies in a positive light. I think the best way to do this is show people doing positive things: working out, caring for their kids, wearing attractive clothes, dancing--you know, the things that fat people actually do! ;-)
Also in my fiction writer persona, it may be a small thing, but I try to have interesting characters of all sizes, races, and sexual orientations in my story, not just the boring "sexy Playboy centerfold and gorgeous Hollywood hunk" tropes that populate so many tales.

Imho, the best stories are the ones that have physically/emotionally/mentally diverse characters.
ReplyDeleteMost of the classic, well-loved romances out there feature characters that were imperfect in some way.