Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Whatever your size, Healthy Habits are preferable

I'm not being a purist and saying I always choose the healthy way. I know there are better choices I can make and I'm working on it. I'm also working on accepting myself--yes, myself as I am now, gray-haired, plain-looking, and fat. That is far more important than continuing the cycle of self-hate that I have lived with most of my life, attempting to achieve a level of thinness that is unnatural to this body.
I just wanted to share a comment that I made on Ragen's post at Fierce Fatties where she ponders the question, do we Fatties lack personal responsibility?

It is far better to be heavy and healthy–no, that is not an oxymoron–than to be starving oneself to thinness, or to be utilizing potentially life-threatening drugs or other dangerous measures to achieve extreme (or even not so extreme) thinness. Bulimia, using drugs both legal and illegal, overuse of laxatives, smoking to curb the appetite–all of these things are far more unhealthy than accepting and working with one’s body whatever size that body may be.
 
I also wanted to answer the question, why do I choose to use the word Fat to describe myself. Fat is not a bad word. It's simply a description. This society has chosen to make it a negative. The idea that one cannot be both fat and active, or fat and attractive, has been shoved down our throats. I am reclaiming the word Fat. You cannot use this word as an insult on me because I have decided that it is not one. Yes, I am fat. So? And I am going to attempt to work at becoming healthier and not worrying about what size I may be.

1 comment:

  1. And I am going to attempt to work at becoming healthier and not worrying about what size I may be.

    That's a great plan, I'm joining you.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughtful commentary is welcome. If you are simply a douchebag who wants to spew about how ugly and/or lazy you think fat people are, go drown your worthless ass in a vat of fry grease. Likewise, if you have been brainwashed by the MULTI BILLION DOLLAR diet/weight loss industry and want to preach about what a godsend whatever program your on is, please do so on your own blog. I do not appreciate religious proselytizing, and I do not like proselytizing for The Church of Thinness either. Thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.