This is another response to Ragen's post on Fierce Fatties:
My weight increased when I made the lazy move of returning to working in health care. It’s such a laid back and not stressful field–so not! And everybody working in it is a lazy, lazy bum!
In case anyone can’t see the sarcasm dripping off that statement, it is there, dripping away.
The myth of the “lazy fatty” is one of the most enraging ones. I don’t happen to know any lazy fat people. The fat people I know are all very hard-working and industrious.
Health care is a high stress field. The night shift is very hard on the body. It turns the normal rhythms upside down. Yes, I tend to crave more sweets when I work the night shift. Yes, I should exercise more. But between doing my regular night shift job and clinicals on the day shift, most of the time what I would like to exercise is the muscles in my eyelids as I close them!
I am a very lazy lard-ass, no?
In case anyone can’t see the sarcasm dripping off that statement, it is there, dripping away.
The myth of the “lazy fatty” is one of the most enraging ones. I don’t happen to know any lazy fat people. The fat people I know are all very hard-working and industrious.
Health care is a high stress field. The night shift is very hard on the body. It turns the normal rhythms upside down. Yes, I tend to crave more sweets when I work the night shift. Yes, I should exercise more. But between doing my regular night shift job and clinicals on the day shift, most of the time what I would like to exercise is the muscles in my eyelids as I close them!
I am a very lazy lard-ass, no?
I agree, that's a very silly myth. Makes me wonder about the intelligence of people who spread such ideas.
ReplyDeleteLack of sleep and stress definitely contribute to weight gain, and I speak from personal experience.
ReplyDeleteweirsdo