Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Pet Peeves: Casual Clothing Made for Mannikins

I hate, hate, hate this current trend of making t-shirts--AND scrub tops--with short-short sleeves. Hate, hate, HAAAAAAATE!!!!!!!!!! 
Granted, I will admit to some vanity and possibly some body fear in this thin-centric culture about not liking my bat-wings. But this isn't the real reason I hate this dumb style. If I wanted my arms showing, I'd wear a fucking tank top. I haven't worn a tank top since I was a teenager. I don't like wearing tank tops. 
I don't try on t-shirts. I grab them off the rack and go because I've never had a problem with them fitting. But these days I'm going to have to be more careful. With scrub tops I have to get them a size up because with that type of fabric the arms tend to be too tight when they're cut in this stupid way rather than allowing some breathing room. With t-shirts I now feel the need to wear an open denim shirt over the top.
I don't like exposing my cleavage and I don't like exposing my upper arms. When I say T-shirt, I want something  with a loose sleeve that comes to between my mid upper arm and my elbow, not close to my armpit.
I also prefer to wear Bermuda shorts. I don't like short-shorts, never really have. I wore them when I was 14 because disco shorts were the style then. Ever since, I've preferred shorts to hit at least mid thigh. In spite of the fact that I used to pose in the buck for art classes (it's a different scene, trust me. Way more like going to a nudist camp than a strip club--completely non-sexual) I prefer to dress modestly. And sensibly! T-shirts, once the ultimate in sensible fashion, are now made for Barbie dolls too.
Blech!
The only way I'll be able to get a sensible t-shirt now is to buy men's t-shirts. Those at least seem to have remained the same sensible fashion without trying to be all cutesy.
Never since the shorty t-shirt in the 80's have I seen such a stupid tweak on classic comfort. I can't wait till this dumb clothing trend dies!

3 comments:

  1. I hate the short-short tight sleeve trend too! The half or 3/4 length is my favorite. Another thing I hate is those low-cut cut jeans with the a$$ half-hanging out. Avoid them like the plague. For me the best are the ones just below the belly-button. (Hated 80s high waisted jeans too.)

    What can I say, "tight" gives me panic attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even wear jeans, they're too stiff. But even as a youngster in the mid seventies when the low-rise jeans were all the fashion, I hated them. I was always afraid if I bent over I'd moon everyone.
    Where do people come up with these dumb styles anyway? I swear that they only work on manikins. They certainly aren't comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I coudent a gree more about T shert's for Barbie's!!!!!! Us Barbie's must show our Glorry to the Lord!!!!!
    PANSI!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughtful commentary is welcome. If you are simply a douchebag who wants to spew about how ugly and/or lazy you think fat people are, go drown your worthless ass in a vat of fry grease. Likewise, if you have been brainwashed by the MULTI BILLION DOLLAR diet/weight loss industry and want to preach about what a godsend whatever program your on is, please do so on your own blog. I do not appreciate religious proselytizing, and I do not like proselytizing for The Church of Thinness either. Thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.