This was inspired by a post on Fierce Fatties about the trend towards Healthism in the fat acceptance movement. I really haven't seen any Size Acceptance folk who are healthists, but I can imagine that they are out there! A lot of people feel the need to say "at least I'm not like (fill in the blank.)"
As an almost-nurse (graduate on Saturday and need to pass my boards) I have worked with the geriatric population since 1988 in the capacity of a nurse aide. I was also trained as an emergency medical technician. I have seen a lot of really stupid prejudices in the medical field, both against overweight people and against the mentally ill. As someone who has bipolar disorder, I'm mentally ill myself, and, surprise, I'm fat too! I used to sit there and seethe in silence, now I call people out on it.
I can tell you that the food in many long term care facilities may be technically healthy but it is far removed from tasty. These people have lived a long time. They deserve to have food that they can enjoy. I've learned over time that healthy and tasty are not oxymorons, but damn it, sometimes a person just wants a piece of chocolate cake, and if that's what they want, then they damn well oughta have it!
I've also seen the way our elderly population is devalued. There is a tendency towards healthism in elder care too. The ones who are still relatively healthy are acknowledged, if grudgingly, as still human by society. The ones who have health deficits are seen as ugly and lesser and locked away.
These people have lived a long time. They deserve to have food that they can enjoy.
ReplyDeleteI whole-heartedly agree. One day common sense will return and the world will come to an end.