My thoughts about the stigma of being a big person in a thinness-obsessed society and about health at every size and my ongoing struggle with disordered eating and low self-esteem.
Friday, July 1, 2011
Slender Allies: Mika
His fun, upbeat song says it all! If his message helps prevent even one girl from developing an eating disorder or hating herself for not being a size zero, then he's accomplished something wonderful!
Labels:
music,
shout-outs,
size positivity,
slender allies
3 comments:
Thoughtful commentary is welcome. If you are simply a douchebag who wants to spew about how ugly and/or lazy you think fat people are, go drown your worthless ass in a vat of fry grease. Likewise, if you have been brainwashed by the MULTI BILLION DOLLAR diet/weight loss industry and want to preach about what a godsend whatever program your on is, please do so on your own blog. I do not appreciate religious proselytizing, and I do not like proselytizing for The Church of Thinness either. Thanks!
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's a shame I can't listen to the song because of copyright issues in my country. But yes, there are a lot more slender allies than one would think.
ReplyDeleteI love Mikas upbeat music and positive messages. Both his albums have a regular spot on my ipod. It's a bit of a cringe for me when he says things like 'curves in all the right places' and 'you take your skinny girl and I feel like I wanna die'. Even though I know he means them to empower big women it sort of comes of as body shaming if your curves are in the wrong place or if you are thin.
ReplyDeleteHaving said that, I am the first dance around my living room like a lunatic. In fact I listened to it while I was ironing the other day because ironing is so awful and Mika music is so awesome:)
I agree that we all would do better to leave any body snarking out of it. Thin women have to deal with the issue of being seen as "not womanly" because of their physique and that's not good either. I guess I was just thrilled to see a guy appreciating bigger ladies and didn't think about that part of it. And yes, the tune is infectiously danceable!
ReplyDelete