This is a response to a post by Shaunta about the fat = ugly myth.
I had a friend that I really had to cool my contact with because she, at 135 pounds, was always talking about how “grossly fat” she was. I asked her what that meant she thought of me, at 275 pounds. She said she wasn’t talking about me, but then turned around and suggested that we should go on “The Biggest Loser” together and was shocked when I took offense. Clearly she had body dysmorphic disorder and was completely delusional about her appearance, but I was at the start of trying to accept myself as I am and her constant anti-fat diatribe was making it very difficult. She was a former ballet dancer whose coach once told her that at 104 pounds at the time, she was a “disgusting, fat pig.” So I know where she got it but the problem was she kept at it and at it. It made me very sad and I couldn’t deal with it any more. It still makes me feel guilty that I had to pretty well cut off our friendship because I wasn’t confident enough to deal with this.

It's true. Women tend to be more accepting of other than themselves.
ReplyDeleteBut from personal experience I know that people will always have a hard time believing it, if one obviously doesn't accept themselves.