Today I was over at the school setting up for the health fair. I really wanted a Sprite because my stomach was bothering me and Sprite soothes things when my digestion is a bit out of sorts. I mean a real Sprite, not that diet shit. Diet soda contains Splenda. Splenda raises my blood pressure and gives me diarrhea. Healthy? I don't think so.
Did I get my Sprite? No. I suffered in silence. Why? Because I'm fat and would have gotten the Glare of Disapproval, whether or not anyone was stupid enough to say anything to me. Because as a fat person, if I am seen eating anything but carrot sticks and drinking anything but water or diet soda, the reason for my fatness becomes immediately obvious in people's eyes. Obviously I drink too much soda--despite the fact that in reality I don't even drink soda once a week.
Meanwhile my classmates were chugging Mountain Dew (antifreeze in a can) and chowing down on McDonald's and Cheetos. I rarely eat fast food or chips. Cheetos are loaded with monosodium glutamate. NOT HEALTHY! Yet I felt I couldn't even have a Sprite to soothe my indigestion because it would show my Fat Gluttony.
In this society, skinny people can mainline pure lard in one arm and heroin in the other and someone could see them doing it and only mention that heroin might be bad for them if they say anything. If a person is skinny and scarfs down horrible food, nobody shakes a finger at them and tells them how bad they're eating habits are. The only way skinny people risk getting frowned at is if they smoke, at least if they're in the nursing program. Because smoking is bad, mmmkay? But still not as bad as being fat.


Yeah, that's one of the things that chaps my hide. Thin people get a pass on doing anything unhealthy because they're thin and that automatically = healthy, while fat people, even if they do everything in their power to get/stay healthy, do one little thing seen as "unhealthy" and of course, that's our whole "lifestyle".
ReplyDeleteI've gotten to the point in my life where if someone says something to me, I tell them "I have to die of something, may as well die fat, well-fed, and happy instead of thin, starved, and miserable." But then, I'm 57, and I've had a few years (just a few.....lol) to perfect my FO attitude.
It's true, there is a double standard. In fact I can think of a double standard for almost every imaginable situation. People are gonna judge no matter what we do.
ReplyDeleteWhich is why we need about dozen t-shits in every color that say "kiss my a$$".
Once I lost so much weight I missed my period. (Definitely not healthy. There was a reason having to do with my parents not sending money for groceries to music camp right away and the camp being in Jackson Hole, where I got a lot of exercise just walking around.) The whole time, until I went back to my normal weight, everyone told me how great I looked.
ReplyDeleteweirsdo