The very cool Shannon of Fierce Fatties often finds himself the target of attack from the more puritanical members of the Fat Acceptance community. Read his thoughts here.
And now you can read mine here, and your day is complete!
Conspiratorial wink for those whose Sarcasm Recognition Chip is impaired. ;-)
I have found myself where you are, realizing fully that I do not fit in anywhere. I am not a "good fatty" any more and because I, like you, believe that we should ALL learn to accept and love our bodies, I already know that I am a reject of the Fat Acceptance movement although I only got involved last year!
I have psychological issues, so I got involved in the psych community. But I am not a "good crazy." I am unable to be "positive and inspirational in spite of my problems" on a daily basis. I have been struggling for the past couple of weeks with severe suicide ideation. Because I express these feelings in my blog without countering how I'm trying to be oh so positive, I have no audience for my thoughts. I got rid of my previous psych blogs because I was criticized for always "whining" by another member of the psych community. I created the blog for the purpose of venting!
I am an agnostic mystic in search of the truth and believe there is more than one possible truth. But I am not welcome in the mystical community because I refuse to assume a "my way or the highway" stance. I thought that we were trying to get away from religious oppression in the mystical communities! Stupid me--I wasn't supposed to be trying to be open-minded! Now I was supposed to hate on ALL Christians and not just the fundamentalist asshats!
I guess the thing is that those of us who try to keep an open mind and be true to ourselves are always going to be pariahs. If you and I are in the same club, I am honored to be there with the likes of you!
It may be safe to say all groups are like that.
ReplyDeleteAfter a while they develop a certain kind of groupthink and any deviation from their norm leads to exclusion and the beginning of a new group.
Really if you think about it, humanity is lucky to have people who find it hard to follow the herd. As they often start their own group which is sometimes worst but usually better than the original.
The very cornerstone of progress, democracy and diversity.
As the late, great Ronnie James Dio said, when you're dealing with fools, the mob rules.
ReplyDeleteI think too a lot of people who have felt rejected for their ideas finally want to be "in with the in crowd" and don't like rabble-rousers stirring the pot because that might make their ideas (and therefore them) unpopular again.